Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Korvia Process



This post will be all about the documents you need, how to get them, and when you should start to get everything in order.

First of all here is a list of all of the documents you need:

  1. Korvia application form
  2. Resume
  3. Diploma
  4. Official sealed transcripts
  5. Photocopy of passport
  6. Criminal Record
  7. Passport size photo
  8. Two reference letters
  9. Teaching certifiction or TESOL certification

Remember this is for the Korvia program and to get a teaching job in South Korea. Although many other companies and countries will probably want many of the same documents.

1. The application form was really easy to fill out. Most of it was basic information, name, date of birth, and so on. There is a 500 word essay but that too wasn't so difficult. I just wrote about why I wanted to go to South Korea and why I wanted to teach. I also talked about how I would handle the cultural differences that I would face when I moved there. In the last paragraph a talked about my teaching philosophy. The last part of the application was writing a lesson plan. My lesson plan was on verbs ending in "ing." The lesson plan needs to be written in the form of a script. I also included example dialogs between me and fictional students, students that did and didn't understand and how I would explain it in a different way. I also included blank worksheets that would be used for the lesson.

2. The resume should be up to date, accurate, include a cover letter, and look professional. There are plenty of sites to go on to help you set up one if need be. You should email your resume and cover letter in along with your application form. 

3. Your diploma needs to be mailed, not emailed, so I would suggest mailing everything that needs to be mailed all at once to save yourself some money. If you are currently graduating from college and need to wait to send your diploma and transcripts then you will have to send your things in two different packages.

4. The transcripts can be purchased from the registers office at your University. This also needs to be mailed to South Korea. 

5. The photocopy of your passport is just that a photocopy. It needs to be of the page that has your picture and information. I got a colored copy of mine, but I'm not sure that it matters if it is in color or in black and white. 

6. To get your criminal record background check you need to go to: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks/submitting-a-criminal-history-summary-request-to-the-fbi
You need to fill out the form and mail it with a return addressed envelope along with the $18 fee and your fingerprint card. Go to your local police station and ask to get your fingerprints taken for a FBI background check. The address to mail the form to is:


FBI CJIS Division – Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306


Once you get your background check  back you will need to send if off to get it apostilled. The form can be found here: http://forms.cerenade.com/esdotnet/editdocument.aspx?documentid=309
There is an $8 fee. The address to send it to is:

      U.S. Department of State
      Authentications Office
      518 23rd Street NW.
      SA-1,  Columbia Plaza,
      Washington, DC 20520

This can be a long process so it is important to start it as soon as possible. It took me about three months to complete the entire process.

7. You can get a passport sized photo at your local CVS or Walgreen's. Its quick and only costs some like $10.

8. The two reference letters can not be from friends of family. Mine were from my practicum co-teacher and my long time professor. You should send a scanned copy with your application but hold on to the original copies because you will need to send them in the mail later on.

9. If you are a certified teacher you will need to send an emailed copy of it to Korvia. If you aren't a certified teacher than You will need to take the online course TESOL. I am a certified teacher so I didn't take the TESOL course.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post, it's super helpful! I do have a quick question on fingerprinting though (I know you wrote this post a while ago so hopefully you can remember ><) but when you went in to get your fingerprints taken, did you also bring an accompanying document? I tried going into the police station today to get my prints taken, and they said I needed a form to take the fingerprints for livescan. I've searched the KORVIA website and FBI website everywhere, but can't find a form. Did you just walk in and get your prints taken? Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete